So today I took a sick day. Actually I didn’t take a sick day because I don’t work (in the traditional sense) Wednesdays and it turns out you can’t call in sick to anyone when you have kids. Except your Mum. But mine was off sick. Oh, the cruelty.
As my appetite is non-existent but I need to get me some vitamins, I made soup. Flu-soup if you will. It’s so easy that even the most flu-riddled can probably manage to make it (in between dizzy spells and trying not to die* as I did). It’s packed with nutrient-rich foods and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
You will need:
250g yellow split peas, green or red lentils
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 sticks of celery, chopped
2 handfuls of kale
2 handfuls of peas
A thumb-sized piece of root ginger, grated or finely chopped
Half tsp turmeric
Half tsp garam masala
1.5l vegetable stock
1. Pour the stock into a large pan and bring to the boil.
2. Add all the veg, lentils, ginger and spices to the pan.
3. Bring to the boil, season to taste and simmer for 20-25 mins until the lentils are soft.
4. Remove from heat and blend to a purée. I like my soup mega-thick so add more water if you prefer it thinner.
See, told you it was easy. Now eat, and get better.
* I was not nearly dying. I’m a bit melodramatic when I’m ill